Dye-sublimation - Steps and Tips
- Use only white or light poly-rich garments
- Vigorously lint roll garment multiple times
- Pre-press garment 3-5 seconds to remove extra moisture
- Place the image face down on the garment
- Use parchment paper over the design in case ink leaks through
- Press at 385°- 405° for 45-65 seconds
- Use steady medium pressure
- Quickly remove and do not move design on garment. Even the slightest movement could cause shadowing.
- Use HTV carrier sheet to tape image in place
- Heat test garment prior to subbing, know your fabrics
- Tear edges off paper in case there is any ink on it that might have drug in printer. Also helps with deep creases.
- Put paper in garment in case ink leaks through. Or, put garment around heat press.
- Use press pillow so press marks do not show
- Place butcher paper over sub paper/ garment so ink does not leak onto press causing other garments to be subbed
- Be aware of seams, especially on onesies and getting even pressure
- Instructions may vary based upon what is being subbed
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Individual results will vary.
- Factors: different press, different printer, different papers, different program used (colors), different garments